Α. GENERAL INFORMATION
Α1. The International Film Festival “Cyprus Film Days” is the official international film festival of Cyprus. It is organised by the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Cyprus and the Rialto Theatre.
The selection of films and programming of screenings, as well as the parallel events programme is undertaken by a three-member Artistic Committee, appointed by the Ministry of Education and Culture and the Rialto Theatre.
Α2. The Festival’s main objectives are to:
– contribute to the development, promotion and mobility of the art of filmmaking in Cyprus and its wider region;
– screen the work of filmmakers from across the world and to introduce their work to the audience of Cyprus;
– serve as a hub for films from the three neighbouring continents of Cyprus.
Α3. The Festival is annual and takes place in Limassol and Nicosia simultaneously. The 13th from the 17th to the 26th edition of the festival will take place of April 2015.
Α4. For 2015, the festival includes the following sections:
– Glocal Images – International Competition Section:
Fiction feature films participate in this section. Films originating from the whole world are selected by the artistic committee, with an emphasis on films originating from neighbouring continents of Cyprus, which promote cinema as an art form and a tool for intercultural dialogue. Moreover, Glocal Images seeks to attract films highlighting the diverse “colours” of local filmmaking in their country of origin and drawing on themes and styles of contemporary international filmmaking. Each film of this section is screened once in Limassol and once in Nicosia.
– Viewfinder – A Close-up of Contemporary International Cinema: Fiction feature films will be selected to participate in this section. This section hosts films which have been distinguished at major international film festivals during the festival year and are selected by the Artistic Committee. The main objective of this programme is to raise awareness regarding selections of important festival centres.
– Parallel Programmes with special screenings, thematic sections and tributes to the work of distinguished filmmakers from across the world.
– Parallel Events with workshops and master classes.
Β. REGULATIONS OF PARTICIPATION IN
“GLOCAL IMAGES – INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION SECTION”
Β1. All films participating in “Glocal Images – International Competition Section” are selected and invited by the Artistic Committee of the Festival upon submission of the entry form.
B2. The number of films selected depends on the Artistic Committee’s discretion and the festival schedule.
B3. Selection Criteria
All films participating in “Glocal Images – International Competition Section” must:
– be fiction feature films;
– be screened in Cyprus for the first time;
– be a 2014 or 2015 production, which means that it should be completed after the 1st of January 2014;
– be available in format:
Digital Cinema Package (DCP)
35 mm print
No other format is acceptable;
– have a running time of more than 60 minutes.
Entry forms for all films applying to this section can be sent either online via www.cyprusfilmdays.com or by post or courier to the following address: RIALTO THEATRE, “Cyprus Film Days – Submission”, P.O. BOX 50332, 3603 Limassol, Cyprus
and must include:
-two (2) DVDs of the film in PAL or NTSC in any region with English subtitles. DVDs are not returned unless the sender requests so; films can also be submitted via a secure online screener.
-the relevant entry form for “Glocal Images – International Competition Section” completed and signed by the authorised producer or the holder of the film rights. The entry form is available at: www.cyprusfilmdays.com. Applications which are not accompanied by an Entry Form will not be considered.
-The festival does not charge an entry fee for participation to this section.
-DVDs sent from countries outside the European Union and countries not participating in the Schengen Agreement must bear the indication “No Commercial Value – For cultural purposes only”.
Films selected for screening at the “Glocal Images – International Competition Section” must be in their original version with English subtitles on print.
The festival undertakes the translation and preparation of electronic subtitles in Greek. Therefore, a dialogue list in English must be submitted for translation purposes within ten days from the selection of a film. Any other arrangement in relation to the subtitling of the film must be made in consultation with the festival. Any other informative material regarding the film such as posters, photographs, press kit, trailers etc. must also be sent together with the dialogue list in English.
B6. The Jury
The Artistic Committee of the Festival appoints a three-member Jury consisting of personalities from the international film industry and it is the Jury that decides for the selection of the awarded films.
The Artistic Committee of the festival also appoints the chairperson and the secretary of the Jury. The decisions of the Jury are taken by simple majority. Persons who are in any way involved in the films participating in this section cannot be members of the Jury.
B7. The Jury awards the following prizes:
– Glocal Images Best Film Award. This Award is accompanied by the amount of €6,000 (euros) which is paid in half (ex aequo) to the Producer (€3,000 euros) and the Director of the film (€3,000 euros).
– Glocal Images Special Jury Award. This award is accompanied by the amount of €3,000 (euros) which is paid in half (ex aequo) to the Producer (€1500 euros) and the Director of the film (€1500 euros).
– Glocal Images Best Director Award. This award is accompanied by the amount of €1,000 (euros) which is paid to the Director of the film.
– The Jury may also award up to three Honorary Distinctions. These distinctions are not accompanied by a monetary prize.
– Each prize is awarded to one film only, and the ex aequo cannot be shared between two films.
– Monetary prizes may be sponsored by other organisations.
– The payment of the amount accompanying the prizes is made in euros.
Β8. The deadline for the submission of entry forms to the “Glocal Images – International Competition Section” is Friday, the 13th of February 2015. The mailing date of the entry form will be considered as the submission date. Applicants will be informed that they have been selected by no later than Monday, the 9th of March 2015. The prints of the films selected for participation must arrive at the offices of the festival by no later than 8 and will be returned within two (2) weeks after the end of the screenings on the 26th of April 2015.
Β9. During the festival, no public screening section is allowed in Cyprus.
B10. The festival holds the right for an extra screening in Cyprus for each of the three films that are awarded at the festival. The additional screenings will take place in a location which the festival chooses and within a time frame that does not exceed the period of 7 days after the end of the festival.
B11. The sender bears the shipping cost and postage insurance for the print of the film participating in the International Competition Section. The festival bears the cost for returning the print to the sender. Where the print comes from or is sent to another festival, the normal procedures are followed. The festival bears any cost related to the insurance of a print of a film against damage or loss for the period after it has been received by the festival until the time it is delivered to the post office or courier (transport agent) for return or given directly to a representative of the film. Any damage to the print of a film must be reported in writing within one week from its receipt and before its next screening. Any claims will be dealt with on the basis of the relevant report of the complainant. In case of loss or complete damage of the visual material, the festival only bears the cost of its replacement.
B12. The organizers of the festival hold the right in deciding upon any subject or issue that is not mentioned in the Rules and Regulations of the ‘Glocal Images’ Competition Section of the International Film Festival – CYPRUS FILM DAYS 2015.
B13. Participating in the ‘Glocal Images’ Competition Section of the International Film Festival – CYPRUS FILM DAYS 2015 implies that the applicant has read and accepted the rules and regulations of the festival.
C. REGULATIONS OF PARTICIPATION IN “VIEWFINDER – A CLOSE-UP OF CONTEMPORARY WORLD CINEMA”
C1. There is no procedure of submitting an entry form in order to participate in this section. All films participating in this section are selected and invited directly by the Artistic Committee of the Festival. Each film in this section is screened once in Limassol and once in Nicosia.
C2. A film participating in this section must: – be a fiction feature film;
– be screened for the first time in Cyprus;
– be a 2014 or 2015 production, which means that the production should be completed after the 1st of January 2014;
– have a running time of over 60 minutes;
Exceptions in relation to the above may be made at the discretion of the Artistic Committee.
C4. Any matters regarding the participation of a film in this section such as postage, screening, subtitling etc are arranged by direct consultation between the festival and the holder of the film rights.
C5. During the festival, no public screening in Cyprus of a film participating in this section is permitted.
C6 The organizers of the festival hold the right in deciding upon any subject or issue that is not mentioned at the rules and regulations of the ‘Viewfinder’ Section of the International Film Festival – CYPRUS FILM DAYS 2015.
C7. Participating in the ‘Viewfinder’ Section of the International Film Festival – CYPRUS FILM DAYS 2015 implies that the applicant has read and accepted the Rules and Regulations of the festival.
D. PARTICIPATION OF CYPRIOT FILMS
D1. Participation of Cypriot films in the two sections of the festival is subject to the rules and regulations of the festival as described above.
D2. Since one of the objectives of the festival is to promote and screen local films, Cypriot fiction feature films are given the opportunity to be screened along with the main programme even if they have been previously screened in theatres or other festivals in Cyprus. Cypriot films featuring as special screenings must:
– be Cypriot-produced or co-produced with Cyprus being the main country of production;
– have had their production completed after the 1st 2014;
– have not been previously screened at the festival;
– be available in format:
Digital Cinema Package (DCP)
35 mm print
No other format is acceptable;
– have a running time of over 60 minutes.
Ε. AUDIENCE AWARD
Ε1. Films participating in the two official sections, the “Glocal Images – International Competition Section” and the “Viewfinder – A Close-up of Contemporary World Cinema” participate automatically in the audience award. Films participating as Special Screenings may also be eligible for the Audience Award provided that they have not been screened commercially in Cyprus and that they were produced after the 1st January 2014.
F1.The organisers of the festival will decide on any matters not prescribed by these rules and regulations, in accordance with the practice followed internationally and according to the situation.
F2.Participation in the “CYPRUS FILM DAYS 2015 – International Film Festival” implies full acceptance of these rules and regulations.